POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Accuracy of sunpos.inc for Prehistoric Dates : Re: Accuracy of sunpos.inc for Prehistoric Dates Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Accuracy of sunpos.inc for Prehistoric Dates
From: Warp
Date: 4 Feb 2007 03:45:31
Message: <45c59d2b@news.povray.org>
waggy <hon### [at] handbasketorg> wrote:
> So, does anyone have any idea how accurate the sunpos macro is for historic
> or prehistoric dates?

  I don't have any idea which calendar system sunpos.inc uses, but
assuming it's the gregorian calendar, that's actually not very accurate
when we are talking about thousands of years.
  The gregorian calendar has an error of 1 day each 3300 years (I don't
remember if it was 1 day too long or too short).
  Besides that, if it doesn't take into account the slowdown of the
Earth, it will err by some seconds when speaking about thousands of
years.

--
                                                          - Warp